A while ago while having a girls night my friends Rachana and Darshna introduced me to the wonderful world of Indian movies, and now when they tell their family and friends how hooked I am they seem to be pretty shocked.
It all started with this film :

(Photo found here: http://lh6.ggpht.com/_JKUQAmh7a2I/SESlzmp78BI/AAAAAAAAHnw/J_tjiAQlVgY/Kabhi+Khushi+Kabhie+Gham.jpg)
Being a complete nerd for musicals, I was immediately smitten. After all, Bollywood is just a musical in a different language. It also didn't hurt that one of the most soulfully attractive men I have ever seen in my entire life is one of the most famous Indian actors out there. Meet Shahrukh Khan, otherwise known as King Khan

(Photo found here: http://www.bollywoodpicturesonline.com/new_jpg/shahrukh_khan_001_bc.jpg)
The man is just positively scrumptious, and when he cries it's somehow hauntingly beautiful in a way that no man should ever be able to pull off. There's something just fascinating about him. That first film also gave me the song that has managed to remain my favorite throughout the months I've been exploring the genre: "Say Shava Shava" EPIC! Epic I tell you!
Next came this movie...

(Photo found here: http://myspecialfriend.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/kuch_kuch_hota_hai_dvd_cover1.jpg)
This was just about the cutest movie ever. Plenty of love and heartache and scheming by cute little ten year olds, and one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen in my life, Kajol. She's definitely on the list of women who are so gorgeous they make me want to throw myself off a cliff because I'll never look that good :) It's a long list :)
Then came Kal Ho Naa Ho, which made me cry the hardest I have in a very long time. It was simply heartbreaking and beautiful and funny all rolled into one big amazing package. The following music number from the movie always makes me smile.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cNKvWnlTWk
Then came Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (No, I can't pronounce it well, no matter how hard I try)

(Photo found here: http://www.wahid.fr/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/dilwale-dulhania-le-jayenge-india-bollywood-movie-shahrukh-khan-kajol.jpg)
Amazing as usual, though I could have done without Kajol's unibrow :) The Dad in this movie was positively terrifying. We're talking eyes popping out, veins throbbing, okay with people being beaten by a cricket bat scary. One particular face he made makes me amazed that it doesn't haunt my dreams.
So far there have been very few actors I have seen in these films which I dislike. The only one that sticks out is Kareena Kapoor, mainly because she seems to consistently play the somewhat over-sexed, not too intelligent and always vapid characters. She certainly did in this one:

(Photo found here: http://www.kareenak.co.cc/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/mujhse_dosti_karoge_cdf112023.jpg)
Loved this one as well, though it was incredibly frustrating due to the love triangle/square that went on.
I also delved into the world of non-musical Indian movies with Chak De! India. Think Mighty Ducks. A once great coach looking for redemption, a ragtag Indian Women's National Field Hockey team learning to work together to honor their country and show that they can be winners. It was really good! Shahrukh Khan was awesome as the coach and I got into it like I do in actual sports, yelling at the players on screen and praying that shots would be made or saved. It was epic.
I guess the point of all of this is that you never know what you may like unless you give it a shot. I never thought I would like Boondock Saints and I ended up loving it; I also decided to watch a Bollywood movie completely on a whim and ended up addicted to the point where I sometimes think Rach and Darsh regret letting me in on the secret :)
Song of the Moment: Gives You Hell by the Glee Cast
Did you ever see Bride and Prejudice? A musical Bollywood movie from 2004-ish? I can loan you my copy, but I want it back!
ReplyDeleteI am seriously thrilled to borrow it!
ReplyDelete